History of Ardmore
Ardmore as we know it today is located in two states and four counties; Giles and Lincoln Counties in Tennessee and Limestone and Madison Counties in Alabama.
The history of Ardmore begins in 1910 when the Louisville and Nashville railroad announced plans to build a direct route between Nashville, Tennessee and Decatur, Alabama. The proposed route would cross the Tennessee-Alabama line where Ardmore is now located.
In 1911 when construction began, the village of Austin as it was originally called was a one store-house community. By the time construction was complete in 1914, Ardmore was a flourishing community.
The first railroad depot was a boxcar, located where Mr. Alex Austin had originally invisioned on the Alabama side. When the depot was opened in 1914, the railroad named it Ardmore, which was then adopted by the town.
From this point forward, the town begin to grow. In 1915-1916, a two-story brick high school was built on the Alabama side. In 1928, an elementary school was built. In 1915 the Baptist Church became the first organized church with a building being constructed in 1918.
The Bank of Ardmore also opened in 1918 on the Tennessee side. This bank is one of the three banks in Giles County to remain open during the Great Depression of 1930. In 1939 an up-to-date hardware store, a grocery store, and a doctor’s office were added to the community.
The Ardmore Cheese Company was opened in 1940. The factory was the bulk of industry at that time and was located on the Tennessee side. Progress continues in the town of Ardmore today.